Please join me along with millions of others on Monday, September 8 for an international call for solidarity. A day of action in support of our human rights and social justice we call #BlackoutMonday.
We’ve seen repeated inhumane injustices against our brothers and sisters and disproportionate racially charged crimes against our community for years in this country. We’ve signed petitions & protested. Our fight on the frontlines and the justice we seek has been covered in the media. We know the issues. Our voices are heard, yet still, we see no change.
We have to make an impact with our agenda that makes sense. In the US, it seems only money talks, so let’s speak volumes. Since we know that African-Americans have a collective buying power estimated to reach $1.1 trillion by 2015. We are now and have always been in the position to show the power of the Black dollar. On September 8th we’re issuing a no spending/consumerism of any kind unless with a [Black-owned] business that supports US.
THIS ONLY WORKS IF WE DO THIS TOGETHER. Solidarity is key in this effort so we need your help in this. Join the movement!
- Participate. Don’t spend unless you spend with a business that supports you. Don’t be a consumer of media content, programming and networks that don’t support you.
- Spread the word. There’s strength in numbers! Help make this day successful by making sure everyone you know knows the deal.
- Forward/Share this e-mail;
- Send text messages;
- Share/invite others to the Facebook event page http://bit.ly/BlackoutMonday;
- Change your profile picture on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, What’sApp, etc.;
- Post the flyer to your social media profiles on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, What’sApp, etc.
- Get involved in setting the agenda. Reach out to your local and national community leaders, ask personal contact with reach and influence to get involved and volunteer your time toward the movement. Use the #BetheChange toolkit to help you get started with outreach —> http://bit.ly/BETHECHANGE
It’s just that simple. Yeah, there’ll be opposition, but think about it: What are all those naysayers actually doing about it? In this case, talk is cheap. Tell your friends and family to put their money where their mouth is. Tell your friends to get with our friends so we can #BetheChange.
And to make this agenda crystal clear (and simple!) we’ve created a #BetheChange toolkit with flyers, fact sheets, e-mails, messages and more for everyone to know what this is all about, spread the word and how to get involved. Peep the link: http://bit.ly/BETHECHANGE.
Don’t forget to use the hashtags: #BlackoutMonday #BetheChange #TooManyNames
We will keep this going strategically, but first we gotta start! Have questions, helpful info to submit or want to connect with us to volunteer, e-mail us firstname.lastname@example.org.
cc missquan jmarksthespots